Sorts of hosting solutions
A hosting service suggests saving and/or sharing specific web content on a web server managed by a hosting vendor. There are various classes of hosting services utilized for various purposes, so let's review them. In this way, you can choose what you want, based on whether you desire to set up a web site, e-mail accounts, or to share files with buddies and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service distributed by particular web hosts, which enables you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole aim is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a list of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to load .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file storage packages are often supported by exhibiting ads by the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a particular interval of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you purchase a paid file hosting plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limitation with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting merchandisers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly incorrect interpretation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would share the load between autonomous hosts of servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving various site hosting services (email, data storage, statistics, DNS, databases, website hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is simply a type of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; given suppliers provide a hosting solution for images only. This hosting variant is appropriate if you would like to share an immense amount of images with chums or acquaintances since the service is generally free of cost. You will receive a random link for every picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for websites.
- Email hosting: a solution committed to tackling your e-mail box accounts. Some providers offer web page hosting services for sites, but do not supply an email solution. If you desire to keep an email address with your domain name but do not wish to have a site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you want. You can set up email accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The e-mail hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a certain video, or you can embed the video file in your site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of availing of this approach in lieu of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video file produces a given amount of central processing unit load, so with several videos and several hundred visitors, you may have a problem with your web page hosting supplies. Embedding the video file will allow you to run as many video clips as you wish without hassling about system supplies.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to own a website. To a certain degree, it embodies all of the aforementioned hosting types since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can run databases and mail accounts, upload video files, etc. At GTO Hosting, for example, you can view web hosting and dedicated web server hosting plans that permit you to get all of the aforesaid solutions in a single location. There may be restrictions depending on the type of hosting solution that you've chosen - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting plan may be better or worse compared with the ordinary email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are conceived for specific content only.